Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Creamy Goodness at Sundaes & Cones!


Ice cream - so good yet so bad. It’s one thing I cannot resist, and having a great ice cream shop like Sundaes and Cones a few blocks away from me doesn’t help either. I first had a taste during an ice cream social that my dorm had, and since then, whenever I have an ice cream craving, this is my go-to spot. All the flavors are creamy and delicious. They have the classics, like chocolate, vanilla, and cookies and cream (which my friend Yawei says is supppper delicious), but they also have a few unique ones like wasabi, lychee and ginger. It’s the odd flavors that make the people come, but I think it’s the classics that make them stay.
I tried the wasabi, and I can assure you, it really tastes like wasabi – there’s also a good kick that hits your nose a few moments after swallowing. It’s not unbearable though; the vanilla mutes the flavor. I also sampled the lychee, which was refreshing but a bit sweet. I took advantage of the lack of a sampling limit and tried many of them, no shame, I say! Ultimately, this time I decided on the pink grapefruit. If you like sweet grapefruit juice, like my roommate Mel does (the more sugar the better), then this one will definitely hit the spot. Its refreshing and creamy and tart. It has quite a bit of sugar in it though, so beware! You’ll probably need some water after finishing it.


The prices are a bit high for a scoop though – one scoop in a suger/wafer cone will run you about $3.50 plus tax. I relate all my pricey indulgences to the number of steamed pork buns that I could buy in Chinatown instead. So this one cone could buy you 4-5 buns! The people there aren’t very friendly either, unfortunately. It’s not that they’re mean, just that they don’t look very happy. But I don’t come for the service; it’s the ice cream I crave. So if you too want some delicious creamy goodness, visit this place and feel free to sample as much as you want!!

Sundaes & Cones
95 E 10th St
New York, NY 10003

1 comment: