Saturday, March 21, 2009

Toasted Marshmallow Milkshake at Stand!

Oh my God! You guys have to try the Toasted Marshmallow Milkshake at Stand. It is quite possibly the most delicious milkshake I've ever had! And for $6, it better be! You can taste the freshly toasted marshmallow that's been blended into it, and also see the charred black specs floating around. The shake has a really nice consistency too - not too thick to suck up in the straw but now too thin that it's soupy either! The two toasted marshmallows on top were a nice touch too. I drank that till there was nothing left in the cup!


We also had the french fries. They were thick cut and delicious too, but a little but too salty for my taste. I liked the kewpie mayonnaise that they laid out on the table; the mustard had an odd aftertaste of ginger,so it wasn't to my liking. But the salty fries went well with the sweet toasty shake, so I have no complaints Except for the fact that the shake didn't last for eternity...

$5 for a large plate of fries


For those of you who aren't in New York or who don't want to pay for a $6 Milkshake, I found the recipe on Gourmet.com!

Stand's Marshmallow Shakes(excerpted from gourmet.com)

3 scoops vanilla ice cream (they use Laboratorio del Gelato)
1 tablespoon whole milk
I large dollop, er, Wookstock Water Buffalo Milk yogurt (For the 300 million of you that can't pick water buffalo milk yogurt up at your corner store, feel free to use a substitute yogurt—it's just there to add a little more liquid and balance out the sweetness of the ice cream a bit)
5 Kraft Jumbo Jef-Puffed marshmallows
Whipped cream
1) Toast marshamllows under a broiler, or, if you're frisky, over a flame until they just start to blacken evenly (the trick is to make sure it's evenly toasted and dark, but not turned to charcoal).
2) Put the milk, yogurt, and then ice cream in the blender. Blend carefully, just until you get a "donut"—when you see the shake holding to the sides of the blender with a hollow core.
3) Add three of the toasted marshmallows to the blender, and whirl it just until they're all broken up and distributed evenly. Be careful not to overblend it, making it too melty.
4) Pour shake into a glass, top with a dollop of whipped cream, break the last two marshmallows on top, and serve with an extra-wide straw.
5) Repeat if necessary. And it will probably be necessary.

1 comment:

  1. I just saw a FoodTV special on this milkshake and I thought I'd pass out from frustration of living in California. I found your blog post, so thanks for finding the recipe for me!

    ReplyDelete