Sunday, March 15, 2009

The City Bakery's Hot Chocolate Review

Sorry for the messy formatting of the last post, I'm still trying to figure our how to work with Blogspot. Hopefully, this one looks better.

So, today I'm gonna talk about the much hyped, Hot Chocolate from City Bakery. I've heard a lot of good things about it and my dorm floor and I were gonna go try it out, but i had to go to a birthday party so i couldn't make it. So, I decided to try it myself the next day.

Well, when I walked into the bakery, I was a bit confused about how to order, because there was no menu, hence I had no idea of the pricing. I finally smartened up and followed the line that was snaking around the corner. When it came to my turn, I ordered a small hot chocolate with one of their homemade marshmallows. Guess how much one small cup was?? $5!!! Too expensive for my cheap ass, so this hot chocolate will be a one time treat.



My thoughts?
I was surprised at the consistency of the drink. It was thick! Almost like a chocolate ganache with some more cream added in for good measure. I’ve never had hot chocolate this thick and I’m not sure if I like it. I think it would have been more likable had it been thinner. However, the chocolate was very good and high quality. If I wasn’t going shopping afterward, I would have saved the drink and used it as a creamy dessert for later.
The marshmallow they put on top was the star of this drink. It was soft and fluffy, but thick at the same time. I managed to drink about half the chocolate (with a spoon nonetheless!) but finished off the marshmallow. Water is free so feel free to ask for some – you’re gonna need it to get through this cup.

I think I can make a much more likable hot chocolate at home, for much less! I’ve been meaning to try my hand at making marshmallows anyway…


Here’s the address if you want to try it for yourself:
3 W 18th St
(between 5th Ave & Avenue Of The Americas)
New York, NY 10011

No comments:

Post a Comment