Thursday, April 16, 2009

Simple Egg Salad


As I write this blog post, the time on my clock is 5:57 a.m. I have the worst sleeping schedule and therefore miss my morning classes quite often. When i stay up late, I get these intense food cravings that I must satisfy...or else! On this particular night, I had a craving for the creamy goodness of egg salad! A little bit odd yes...but you can't control what you crave!!! Scrounging through my fridge, I could only find the basics needed for the salad - eggs, mayo and horseradish mustard (our fridge is empty most of the time). We didn't have any veggies to put in the salad like celery or peas, so I made do with some cilantro I needed to use up. The end product was surprisingly delicious and really satisfied my craving. This recipe is really easy and you only need a few ingredients! Scoop some of this on a slice of bread and you're set for a delicious egg salad sandwich=)

Ingredients
(Enough for 1 person!)
3 Eggs
1-2 Tbsp low fat mayo
1-2 Tbsp Mustard (I used horseradish mustard because a) it was the only kind I had and b) i like the spicy flavor it imparts on the salad)
A few sprigs of cilantro
Salt & Pepper

Directions
Place the eggs in a pot of cold water and bring to a boil, covered. When the water starts bubbling, turn off the heat, leave the pot covered, and let the eggs sit for 10-12 minutes in the water.
In the meantime, chop up the cilantro or whatever veggies you have in your fridge and place in a small mixing bowl.
When the eggs are done, run them under cold water to cool them and peel & chop.
Place the eggs in the bowl along with the cilantro, add mayo, mustard and salt & pepper till you get the consistency and taste that you like! I like mine extra hot so I put in a lot of mustard!
You can eat it warm, like I did because I couldn't wait, or chill it in the fridge for later!

Craving satisfied!

--- Thuy=)

2 comments:

  1. you finally updated!
    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Thuy!

    We have you on our facebook, but are you going to go to our Hay Qua event??? next Sat??

    Tons of great viet-am speakers AND if you like banh mi, there will be a tasting there too ALONG w/ the coolest food panel ever!

    is it okay if we link your blog to our site?
    also if you know of other viet creatives and bloggers in ny, send them our way!!

    - donny tran
    www.thatsneaat.com

    ReplyDelete