Sunday, May 16, 2010

Home

Coming home to San Jose this summer brings a sense of ambivalence. While I was packing, I kept thinking about how I didn't want to leave because lots of things were going on that called for me to stay. My friends were staying for the summer, I met a nice guy, I still had a lot of things on my To-Bake list...

But on the plane ride home, as I flew over the California landscape, ready to land, I couldn't help but feel happy. Home is where comfort is. It's where my family is; where my bestest friends are. It's where I can open the fridge and find more than just condiments or eggs. And its where the sun always shines and the temperature fluctuates between 68 and 75 degrees.

I wish I could take pictures of everything I ate since landing, but I was too eager and finished everything too quickly to get a picture in. I spent a couple of days with Kelsey and we indulged ourselves in all the things we shouldn't have eaten.

I came home to my dad this morning and immediately was showered with hugs and food. Lots of it. Here is a list of what I ate from 11:00am to 6:00pm
- French Bread with Cheese & Coffee
- Com Tam (Vietnamese Broken Rice with Grilled Pork & Shrimp)
- 1.5 Bowls of Bun Rieu (Crab and pork Noodle Soup)
- Che Chuoi (Banana Tapioca Pudding)
- Mangoes with Chili Salt
- Che Dau (Red Bean Pudding)
- Fresh Coconut Juice
- Vietnamese Curry Chicken with Rice & Bread
- Cassava Coconut Cake

I literally did not stop eating. And I loved every minute of it. I really wish I had pictures because everything was so good. I seriously cannot wait to go to bed so that I can wake up in the morning and eat leftover curry. Yummmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment