Friday, January 29, 2010

Too much eating out....

School started two weeks ago! Sighs! And I've been too lazy to cook or take pictures of what I cook when I actually do. The lighting in my room is horrible! I have been eating though!! Lots of sooo good but very bad things! Lilly got me the cake book that i've been wanting for so long -
Sky High: Irresistible Triple-Layer Cakes by Alisa Huntsman. I was so excited that the moment I got it, I baked a cake the chocolate chip banana cake! Sorry there's no pictures bc I was too lazy to decorate it. We just ate it straight from the oven. I think I will make it again though, because it was definitely a keeper. There's Chinese 5-spice powder in it! Isn't that odd? Tasted good though!
It's Restaurant Week in new york and this year we actually participated. Me and Lilly went to Alto for their prix fixe lunch special - an appetizer, entree and a dessert for $24.00. It was a pretty good deal considering that's a 2 Michelin Star restaurant!
Here's a run down of the meal in case anyone wants to check it out before Restaurant Week is over!

So this was my appetizer! It was crudo with blood orange and a mayonnaise kind of dipping sauce. Yes it was as small as it looks. And to be honest, I didn't really like it. It was kind of plain and I didn't like the texture of the fish. The blood orange segments were good though!

Lilly got the Fagioli soup, which was the better of the two. The server poured the bean soup over a butter piece of bread.For the entree, I got the Vitello, or braised veal cheek. This dish was reallly good, but oh so tiny. The veal was like butter and it smelled like Thanksgiving.
Lilly got the Branzino on top of a cabbage salad. There was supposed to be preserved lemon in it, but I didn't really taste it. Lilly says she got bits and pieces of it though. I think the veal won this round.
The chocolate dessert was the best part of the meal. I got the Budino. Which had three layers. The bottom was like this really dense chocolate cake, the middle was a chocolate mousse and the top was this toffee jelly like thing. It was placed on top of some toasted marshmallow and served with reallly intensely dark chocolate ice cream on the side. The ice cream was so good. I highly recommend this dish.


Lilly got the Torta, which was a pistachio cake with lemon curd and lemon yogurt sorbet. I personally thought the cake was a lillte dry and that the sorbet was wayyy to tart! Choose the chocolate one instead!
The restaurant was soooo fancy, I really felt uncomfortable. It was hard taking pictures because all the waiters and stuff were staring at you and judging you. Oh god. I did manage to sneak in one last pic before we left though!
Afterwards, we were still hungy! So we went to get chicken and rice from Platters just a couple blocks down. So cheap and so much more fulfilling. To make the juxtaposition between uber fancyness and delicious cheapassness even more extreme, we proceeded to find the closest McDonald's to eat our meal in=)

Doesn't look very appetizing right? Don't let the looks decieve you! It was delicious. I got half lamb and half chicken smothered in white and hot sauce=) All for 6 bucks!And to be honest, I enjoyed eating street food in some grungy McDonalds more than sitting uncomfortably straight in some fancy high class restaurant. But that's just me.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! ahahahahaah, you would go for chicken and rice after your fancy (but tiny) meal. but that is why I love the two of you so much.

    Lilly: You're hair looks pretty. Can you send me a picture of yourself (with that hair) so i can tell the hair lady to make me look just like you????

    ^_^
    Miss you both.
    Interesting new format. I thought I went to the wrong page.

    update more.

    LOVES!!!

    ReplyDelete