Sunday, October 18, 2009

Potatoes...yummm

Oh potatoes how I love thee. Let me count the ways! Fried, baked, mashed, smashed.... However it's prepared, I will eat them. I just bought a huge ass bag of potatoes so I'm trying to think of creative and delicious ways to cook them. Any ideas? The other day I made Garlicky Oven Fries=)
Potatoes and Garlic. Together - they are magically delicious. Drizzled with olive oil and baked in the oven? Crispy and scrumptious strips of awesomeness! I used 6 potatoes and 8 cloves of garlic for this recipe (yes I reallllly love garlic). It can probably feed 5 people as a snack. But me and my two roommates devoured these in 5 minutes and we still wanted more!
I got the recipe from The Purple Foodie. She uses cornstarch, which I never would have thought of! It makes the fries more crunchy=) So if you have a craving for something crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside and delicious all over, try this recipe out!

Garlicky Oven Fries (from The Purple Foodie)
8 garlic cloves, minced
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
5 Medium sized potatoes - (I used Idaho but whatever you have is fine)
3 tbsp cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 475° F.
Combine the garlic and oil in a large bowl, warming it in the microwave until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
Transfer 5 tablespoons of the oil (leaving the garlic in the bowl) to the baking dish, coating it well.
Add the potatoes to the bowl with the garlic mixture and toss to coat. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and microwave on high power until the potatoes are translucent around the edges, 3 to 6 minutes, shaking the bowl to redistribute the potatoes halfway through cooking.
Combine the cornstarch, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the hot potatoes and toss well to coat.
Arrange the potatoes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake, turning once, until deep golden brown and crisp, 30 to 40 minutes.

I love eating my fries with plain old ketchup, but if you want to get upscale try what I did. I mixed mayo with a bit of lemon zest, lemon juice salt and pepper. The citrusy notes go well with the slightly spicy fries.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment