Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Other Side of Chinatown

So I’ve been in the city for a year and a half already and I’m ashamed to say I haven’t done much exploring. I usually stick to the places I know – 5th Ave, Broadway, and certain areas of chinatwown. When Lilly, Mel and I went to Chinatown in search of Xi’an Famous Foods, I discovered a side I’d never seen before. When we walked east on Canal, towards the Manhattan Bridge, we came across a whole bunch of fruit and vegetable vendors selling groceries for a lot less than Hong King Supermarket (my usual go to place) or the vendors on Mott. They were selling fuji apples by the trayful for only $5! We were so tempted to get them but didn’t want to carry it back, I did get a bunch of other stuff though – oranges, grapefruit, carrots, a baby watermelon for $1, and some asian spinach type of thing that the lady was trying to sell to me at the price of 2lbs for $1. This is where I’ll be buying my groceries from now on.
We also found the $1 Skewer man under the bridge. I asked for cuttle fish but he gave me fish balls that tasted good anyway. And Lilly got lamb, which I really liked. Both were covered in a sweet dark soy sauce. Lilly said they tasted exactly like skewers she and Yawei had in Beijing. So when Yawei gets back from London, we are definitely going to take her there=)

My sister is going to New York for the first time next week and I can't wait! I'll finally get to do all the touristy things I've never done before like having frozen hot chocolates at Serendipity and seeing the Statue of Liberty. But most importantly, I'm gonna eat!!!! I have a long list of places I need to take her to and honestly, in order to get through that list, we're going to have to be eating constantly for the entire duration of her stay. Sighs. It's a hard task, but someone has to do it!!!

ME! ME! ME!

1 comment: