Thursday, December 3, 2009

Cheap Korean Food!

During my freshman year of college, I discovered that I had a love for kimchi. Back at home, I only ate it on the rare occasion when my grandma made it (she doesn't make me food anymore because she doesn't love me!). So although I liked kimchi, I didn't eat it all too much.
Then I came to New York and found that there were many days where I ate only eggs! So to liven things up, I went to M2M (an asian convenience store) and bought myself a 5 lb bucket of kimchi! If you ask my roommates, they will tell you that my meals consisted largely of eggs, kimchi and sriracha that semester. I went through 2 buckets in less than two months, and then I got a little sick! Kimchi overload!
Besides kimchi though, I love all kinds of korean food - kimbap, bibimbap, tteokbokki! I'll eat it all=) My favorite place to eat cheap korean food is Woorijip. Its a buffet style place that also has prepacked meals that are around $5-$6 a box. I went the other day with Derrick and Lilly after seeing Anthony Bourdain & David Chang at B&N. It was sooo good. Bourdain makes me giggle like a little school girl=)

Lilly go the Kimbap which was around $6 I think. It was a really large portion and she could hardly finished it (I, being the good friend, assisted her). There is better kimbap across the street though, at E-mo Bap!

Derrick got chicken in spicy chili sauce ($5.50), I forgot the exact name. This one was my favorite! It was pretty spicy and consisted of chunks of chicken, onions and bell pepper, It also came with rice. If you like sweet and sour pork, this is very similar although much spicier! He also got the japchae(korean glass noodles) which was delicious but oh so oily.

I got the shrump curry which also came with a korroke (potato croquette), $5.50. This one was kinda meh to me, I prefer vietnamese curry. The flavor of this curry was pretty light and not spicy at all. I think the chicken curry is better. The korroke though was very delicious.

After this meal, we couldn't move for quite a while and ended up sitting there for another 15 minutes digesting. The food is pretty greasy and great after a night of drinking.

Woorijip
12 W 32nd St
(between 5th Ave & Broadway)
New York, NY 10001
(212) 244-1115

No comments:

Post a Comment